Computers & More
All locations of the Livingston Parish Library provide the public with crucial, free access to computers, the Internet, and other technology-based resources and services. This falls in line with the Library's mission to provide all members of the community with the resources and programs necessary to fulfill their informational, educational, recreational, and cultural needs.
The topics discussed in this section include:
- Use of Computers
- Free Wi-Fi
- Printing, Copying, Faxing
- Children's iPad Stations
- Device Charging Stations
For a complete explanation of the Library's policies and procedures, view the Livingston Parish Library Policy Manual by clicking here.
1. Public computers are available for usage in all branches of the Livingston Parish Library.
2. All users should be familiar with the Electronic Access Policy. Copies of the policy are available at the circulation desk and are displayed at computer login.
3. Patrons wishing to use public computers will be required to sign on via the library’s automated computer reservation and print management system.
4. Computers may be assigned for 1 hour with possible 30-minute extensions if time slots are available. In the event that there is a waiting list for computers, the users who have exceeded their 1-hour session limit will be required to end their session. They may resign up for another session and will be placed at the end of the queue.
5. If a computer station remains idle for fifteen minutes, the session will be automatically ended and a patron will have to reserve another workstation.
6. Livingston Parish Library card holders can credit their print account at a maximum of $10.00. No refunds will be issued once the deposit has been made. The fund will remain available indefinitely. Patrons are encouraged to keep a receipt of cash deposit.
7. Non-residential visitors who do not have a library card can purchase a Guest Access card for $1; $0.70 will be available on the card and can be used for printing and copying.
a. Guest Access cardholders will be granted a 1-hour session with a possible one 30-minute extension.
b. Cash refunds will not be issued for a guest access card with a balance.
8. Patrons with a library account balance exceeding $10 will not be able to use public computers (effective January 1, 2015).
9. The use of personal CD/DVD’s and USB drives will be allowed on the Library computers unless their usage becomes a risk to the computer system, at which time their use will be disallowed.
10. While the use of portable/mobile devices connected to public computers is allowed, the staff will not provide technical assistance with digital cameras, portable scanners, portable printers, and other devices. Please note: Not all of the electronic devices may be able to interface with public computers. The library bears no liability for electronic devices connected to public computers and any damage that may potentially result from such use.
11. All computer sessions, including printing and saving of work, must be completed 15 minutes before the library closes.
Free, high-speed Wi-Fi is available to the public at all Livingston Parish Library locations 24 hours a day.
Each LPL branch has internet speeds up to 1 gigabit per second, which is equal to 1,000 megabits. For context, the national average internet speed is just over 119 Mbps, meaning our Internet speed is nearly 10 times faster than the national average.
The Library’s Wi-Fi network extends to all parking lots, giving patrons and visitors access to high-speed Internet without having to leave their cars.
No password is required.
To access the Library’s Wi-Fi network, complete the following steps:
- Open your device, such as your laptop, smartphone, or tablet
- Under Settings, click on Wi-Fi and select the network labeled “Livingston Parish Library Guest”
- Agree to the Livingston Parish Library’s terms and conditions for Internet use by clicking the tab labeled “Connect to the Internet”
The Livingston Parish Library offers the use of laptops within the Denham Springs-Walker Branch and Watson Branch. These laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis and limited to in-house use only.
Laptops checkout for an initial period of two hours and may be extended for an additional two hours. Patrons are limited to one laptop at a time. and laptops may not be checked out for use at patrons’ homes.
Laptop borrowers must meet the following requirements:
- Possess a current adult, educator or senior citizen account with Livingston Parish Library in good standing
- Live or own property in Livingston Parish that qualifies them for a library card
- Be 18 years or older
- Agree to the terms of checkout by signing a Library Laptop Checkout Agreement
To view the Library's Laptop Checkout Policy within the Livingston Parish Library Policy Manual, click here.
1. The library will provide access to a photocopy machine, printer, and fax machine for library patrons at each branch within the confines of the budget and the availability of funds for acquisition and maintenance of these devices.
2. A notice will be posted informing the patron of copyright law and regulations in the United States. The library cannot patrol and does not regulate the use of this machine by the individual patron.
3. A notice will be posted stating that the Library is not responsible for faulty use of a photocopy machine or for patron error caused by disregard of posted instructions.
4. The charge for use of the photocopier shall be ($0.10) ten cents per copy page (thus a twosided copy is $0.20). Color copies shall be ($0.25) per page. Exceptions are not made for religious or non-profit institutions.
5. The charge for use of the printer shall be ($0.10) ten cents per page (thus a two-sided copy is $0.20). Color prints shall be ($0.25) per page. Exceptions are not made for religious or non-profit institutions.
6. The charge for use of the fax machine shall be ($1) one dollar for the first page and ($0.25) for each subsequent page, sending or receiving. Exceptions are not made for religious or non-profit institutions.
7. Patrons are not allowed to bring their own paper or transparency film to use in the Library’s photocopy machines
The Livingston Parish Library has iPad stations designed specifically for children within all branches, allowing children to interact with safe content in a controlled setting.
These iPads are pre-loaded with carefully selected family-friendly stories, activities, and games intended to keep preschool, elementary, and middle school-aged children entertained and educated. The iPads also contain many of the Library's educational databases.
Children must be accompanied by an adult to utilize an iPad station. For more information, visit your local library.
Device charging stations are available within all locations of the Livingston Parish Library during normal hours of operation.
The stations, which are free to the public, can be used to charge phones, smartphones, tablets, and laptops.