How Do I?
Visit any branch of Livingston Parish Library to fill out a library card application. You’ll need to show a current, valid ID with your name, photo, and Livingston Parish address, such as a Louisiana driver’s license. If your photo ID does not have your current address listed, one of the following supporting identification types will need to be provided as well:
- – Checkbook with a current mailing address
- – Mail with date cancellation showing mailing address
- – Receipt for payment of rent or utility charges within the parish
- – Lease agreement showing current address in parish
Citizens who reside outside of Livingston Parish but own property in the parish must present a copy of their most recent tax bill along with a valid driver’s license.
Educators must present proof of employment within Livingston Parish at the time of registration. Homeschool educators must present an acceptance letter from the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE).
Non-residents (as described below) who reside outside of Livingston Parish must bring a letter of good standing from their own parish library and a valid picture ID.
Need access to online resources right away? Complete the online form for an eCard. You’ll receive immediate access to all LPL databases and eContent such as Hoopla, CloudLibrary, and more. Library borrowers who register online will need to show a valid ID and follow the in-person instructions to be able to check out physical materials at a library branch.
Livingston Parish Library offers the following library card types:
- Adult – For parish residents aged 18 and above living in Livingston Parish (residents) or citizens who own a property in Livingston Parish.
- Teen – For minors aged 12 to 17 living in Livingston Parish.
- Juvenile – For minors aged 11 or younger living in Livingston Parish.
- Educator – For teachers, school librarians, and other individuals working within the education field in Livingston Parish.
- Non-Resident – For individuals, adults and minors, who reside in neighboring parishes: East Baton Rouge, Ascension, St. James, St. John the Baptist, Tangipahoa, and St. Helena.
- Out-of-State – For adults and minors who do not live within Louisiana, but temporarily reside within Livingston Parish for a portion of the calendar year.
- Senior Citizen – For adults aged 60 or older who meet the criteria for an adult library card.
- Facility Use Card – For Livingston Parish organizations that Livingston Parish Library works with on a formal, outreach basis
Come into any library location with a valid ID and we will be happy to update your information. If in good standing, you may also renew your card online, then bring your valid ID on your next visit. Please note, online renewals may take up to 72 hours to process.
On February 26, 2019, the LPL announced a new partnership with Livingston Parish Public Schools (LPPS) to provide all students and educators with an LPL eCard. This eCard grants immediate access to all electronic resources provided by the Library. For help determining your eCard number and learn more about the eCard partnership, click here.
To renew your library materials online, log in to your account. Then, follow the steps listed below.
While logged in to your account, select "Items Out" from the left-hand side menu. This will bring up a list of items you currently have checked out.
Select the box next to the item you want to renew or click "Renew All Items" to renew all items you currently have checked out. Your items will now be renewed. If you’ve reached your renewal limit, or a request has been placed on that item, it cannot be renewed.
All patrons of the Livingston Parish Library can check their account online using their library card. To do so, follow the steps below.
Log in to My Account. You will be directed to the library’s online catalog, where a login menu will appear.
To log into your account, you need to enter your library card number in the "Barcode" field and your PIN number in the "Password" field. Your PIN number is the last four digits of your library card number.
Click "Log In" to access your account information.
Through Interlibrary Loan (ILL), we can try to borrow an item on your behalf from another library system in the state of Louisiana or within the United States. To place an ILL request, visit one of our library branches and speak with a staff member OR visit the Interlibrary Loan webpage. Please note that new materials (items published within the last year) are not eligible for Interlibrary Loan.
You can also use the statewide Interlibrary Loan System, known as Loan Shark, to request materials outside of the Livingston Parish Library System.
Visit the Loan Shark site.
Click “Login” in the upper right-hand corner of the site.
A pop-up login window will appear.
Be sure “Livingston Parish Library” is chosen in the “Select Your Library’ drop down box.
Username is your Livingston Parish Library card number.
Password is your PIN number.
Search for the material you wish to borrow. Once found, click “Request this Item”.
Livingston Parish Library will request the materials for you. If the lending library agrees to loan the materials, please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery.